ALTERNATIVES – RESCUE STATEMENT – SURRENDER QUESTIONNAIRE
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ANY MEMBER OF FLORIDA SHAR-PEI RESCUE WITHOUT FIRST READING THE FOLLOWING IN ITS ENTIRETY
Our primary goal in presenting the following information is to assist with issues that could potentially allow you to keep your family member.
Surrendering your pet should be considered your LAST option not you FIRST.
Alternatives & Resources to Assist You In Keeping Your Pet
The volunteers of Florida Shar-Pei Rescue are more than willing to help you with behavioral and health problems that may be plaguing your Shar-Pei. We have volunteers with decades of experience with the breed, those with medical/veterinary knowledge, some who seem to have the golden touch with naughty dogs, and folks who keep us organized and running. We ALL will try to assist in some manner if you need advice on keeping your Shar-Pei.
Below are some links you may find helpful. FSPR does not necessarily endorse these sites but is providing them simply as an attempt to assist you in keeping your pet.
Pet Friendly Apartments and Rentals:
Call these places and ask about pet acceptance and policies. Dog friendly housing IS available in every area in every price range. Do the legwork for your pet, they would do it to keep you. These sites have options to search only where pets are allowed.
The Humane Society of the United States Guide to “Finding Animal Friendly Apartments”
More Pet Friendly Housing Search Options:
Local Daily and Weekly newspapers
Local Apartment Guides
For Rent By Owner Homes
For specific behavioral or health questions you are unable to resolve with your current veterinarian, or if you need help with local Shar-Pei resources, feel free to contact us or view our list of recommended vets. Most of our volunteers work full time, but someone will answer your e-mail as timely as possible.
Things you need to keep in mind about Pet Rescue Organizations in general and FSPR in particular.
- We are a group of VOLUNTEERS. No one associated with FSPR receives any financial compensation for his/her efforts. In fact, most of us spend out of pocket to help keep the organization afloat. Most of us also have full-time jobs in addition to offering our help to help rescue these dogs. Keep these things in mind when asking for our help.
- Our first priority is to save dogs on death row and Shar-Pei often DO NOT make the adoptable list at shelters. There is no guarantee any given shelter will even make an attempt at contacting a rescue group, and Shar-Pei do very poorly in shelter environments – both health-wise and socially. If you dump your dog at a pound or shelter, you may be signing his/her death warrant. If you decide to leave your pet at a shelter please do your research and find a shelter with a no-kill policy.
- Please understand that you are dealing with a group of people who are committed to the Shar-Pei breed and who love their dogs as if they were family members. We’ve all had to move before, had children, lost jobs, gotten sick, had allergies, and/or been associated with people who don’t love dogs as much as we do, BUT we would never part with our own dogs without the fight of a lifetime.
- Regardless of living situations and scenarios, a Shar-Pei is a loyal dog, one who would rather be with his own people than anyone in the world. If he doesn’t adjust well to your new home or new baby, you owe it to him to try to help ease the transition. It would NOT be better if he had a home where the people had more time, more money, more space, or a nicer yard. Your dog wants to be with you just as, at one point, you wanted to be with them.
- Depending on the available foster space, we may not always be able to accept owner surrender dogs. Currently, the amount of dogs being dumped at high-kill shelters is overwhelming. We are committed to saving them, and our foster homes are nearly always full. If you are having medical or behavioral problems with your Pei and would like our help so that you can keep your dog, we will be glad to assist you.
If you have read everything above, are experiencing a TRUE family crisis or EMERGENCY, and would like a local volunteer to help evaluate your options, please fill out our emergency surrender form at the link below.
We Can Only Consider Pure Bred Shar-Pei!
We Must Have Pictures Of Your Shar-Pei Before We Can Consider Your Application!